WONDROUS THINGS FROM THE LAW OF GOD.
PSALM 119:17-24. GIMEL.
Introduction: In this section of Psalm 119 we can see that the trials of life are on the psalmist’s mind but as always prayer is the key. He cries out to His Lord and God for help and this is the spiritual life lesson for us all whatever the problem. Are we not in covenant relationship with God?
1. GREAT OPPORTUNITIES WITHIN THE WORD OF GOD.
* LIFE COMES UPON THE SOUL – Verse 17. ’Deal bountifully with Thy servant, that I may live, and keep Thy Word.’
* LIGHT COMES INTO THE SOUL – Verse 18. ‘Open Thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of Thy Law.’
* LONELINESS DEPARTS FROM THE SOUL – Verse 19. ‘I am a stranger in the earth; hide not Thy commandments from me.’
* LONGING COMES FORTH FROM THE SOUL – Verse 20. ‘My soul breaketh for the longing that it hath unto Thy judgements at all times.’
2. GREAT OPPOSITION TOWARDS THE WORD OF GOD.
THE AVERSION – VERSES 21-23 THROUGH :-
- DOMINEERING MEN, THEY ARE CURSED OF GOD – Verse 21. ‘Thou hast rebuked the proud that are cursed, which do err from Thy commandments.’
- DISDAINFUL MEN, THEY ARE CONTEMPTUOUS OF GOD – Verse 22. ‘Remove from me reproach and contempt, for I have kept Thy testimonies.’
- DANGEROUS MEN, THEY ARE CONTROLLED BY GOD – Verse 23. ‘Princes also did sit and speak against me, but Thy servant did meditate in Thy statutes.’
THE ANSWER – Verse 24. ‘Thy testimonies are also my delight and my counsellors.’